Friday, January 18, 2008

Draft Time...In 3 Months (Rd. Two)

Well, the Colts aren't in the playoffs. That means we get to enjoy Phillip Rivers, Igor Olshansky, Shawne Merriman, and Rodney Harrison interviews. Here's to those hoping a massive case of laryngitis sweeps through the Chargers locker room. But enough about them, let's get to the point of the blog.

It's draft time, baby! Yeah. I love the Draft. 12 months of prognosticating all comes down to this. We get to see Ted Ginn being taken number 9 and then look around at everyone with a classic 'WTF' look on their faces. The draft is all fun and games before a stupid GM takes a kick returner over your favorite player. But I digress.

The Colts do have some problems that they need to fix. They may lose some people this offseason and need replacements. Here is my 2 cents (but in my case, 2 marks) on what the Colts should do with their 6 current picks.

2nd round

The Colts traded their 1st round draft pick for this year for Tony Ugoh. That was a good deal. Ugoh could end up being a star. However, that means we have to wait through 60 picks before the Colts will end up taking someone barring a draft day trade. Here are the 5 players who are projected around the late 2nd round that I think the Colts should take. For projections and stats, I use WalterFootball.com, my personal favorite draft site.

Anthony Collins/OT/Kansas: I bet most of you are surprised I would pick an offensive lineman, especially a tackle. Let me explain. Either Ryan Lilja or Jake Scott will be gone next year. I guarantee it. Collins is a big guy who could play guard for the Colts. He is pretty mobile with a 4.98 40 time, so I think he would have no problem adjusting to a zone blocking scheme.

Kevin Smith/RB/UCF: Addai slowed down big time at the end of the year. I think he needs someone more reliable than Kenton Keith (catch the ball!) in the running game behind him. Smith dominated in college football last year and should have won the Heisman. I think he will be a fantastic pro, and if he falls down here, he should be snatched up as quickly as possible.

Titus Brown/DE/Mississippi State: If Freeney or Mathis is to get injured again, they need a defensive end that can get to the quarterback. Brown plays a lot like Freeney and Mathis using speed over size. I like him a lot.

John Carlson/TE/Notre Dame: All of the Colts' tight ends are free agents this year, so drafting another wouldn't be a bad choice. I also don't think Hunter Smith and Rocky Boiman are cutting it as Domers. I need some more to feel whole.

Erin Henderson/OLB/Maryland: Henderson is big, but he is also very fast. He runs a 4.58 40 time, yet he is 6-3. If Rob Morris does not come back, he should be a good backup for Freddie Keiaho. Also, Craphonso Thorpe needs some competition for the prized "Dumbest Name Ever" contest. Did his parents think he was a girl. It's A-A-R-O-N if you are a guy. C'mon now, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson. That's a mental slip-up.

So let's say all of these people are there at the 61st pick. If I could choose one of them, I would go with Kevin Smith. Smith is my boy. He is one of my favorite players, mostly for the fact that he is underrated and I feel the need to rate him. I think he could be a valuable asset for the Colts to give Addai a break and transition into a two-back system. I think Addai is great, but a 2 back system is better for a team to win. Look at the 2004 Patriots, 2005 Steelers, and the Colts of last year. Smith would be a great pick.

Rounds 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 should be coming soon.

No comments: